Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Quick Trip to Newfoundland - Heading to Trout Brook

I’ve been to Newfoundland a lot in the last 35 years. However, most of my trips have been to the Avalon Peninsula on the eastern side of the island. I’ve only been to the tip of the Northern Peninsula and Labrador once – about 30 years ago. So, on this short trip, my vague plan is to explore this part of the island with a side trip to Labrador if time permits.

After getting off the ferry I head to Cheeseman Provincial Park outside Port aux Basques for a quick a shower.

Fifteen minutes later, I’m on the road again. The day is overcast with occasional rain. I decide I’ll drive until I’m tired and then find a place to camp. I play leapfrog with the slow-moving RVs on the road. I pass “Minnie Winnie” a half-dozen times only to have her overtake me when I stop for a photo or coffee.


After 170 miles, I reach Deer Lake and decide I’ll camp at Trout River in Gros Morne National Park. After a stop at a grocery store for a few supplies (including a box of Purity Cream Crackers) I head down Route 430 towards Wiltondale and the turn off to Trout River about 25 miles away.

The road to Trout River takes me through the Tablelands – a series of flat topped mountains that are actually a piece of the earth’s mantle which was thrust up onto the underlying rock when Africa collided with North America about 470 million years ago.

The red rocks are very low in calcium, very high in magnesium, and have a variety of heavy metals which make them toxic to most plants.

Last winter’s snow is still visible in many of the deep ravines near the tops of the mountains.

The clouds hang low over their tops, giving the landscape a foreboding mood.

When I get to the campground, I'm too tired to do much else other than eat a pack of Ramen noodles set up my tent and go to bed.

No comments: