Sunday, April 06, 2008

Portrait

I'm having a show of my photos at the Harlow Gallery in Maine.


It's a joint show and the other artist, Mike, does more conceptual work. This includes filling one of the front windows of the gallery with trash.



It also includes doing portraits of visitors to the gallery. This afternoon, he did my friend Jude's portrait.


The first moments of a sitting are always a bit tense...


Things loosen up a bit when Jude's dog joins her. But where is the portrait going?


It looks kind of cartoony...


Okay, now it's looking a bit more like Jude.


Wait, what's he doing now? Several silver-haired ladies watching the progress of the portrait gasp and go "tsk-tsk".


Um, okay - I think I see where this is headed.


Mike gets out his fine brushes...


Using a stick to add some white. The silver haired ladies go "oooh".


After 45 minutes, Jude gets her first look.


Jude bolts as Mike says "Wait, let me touch-up that nose a bit!"

No comments: