Monday, September 28, 2009

Local Traffic Only

Bridge

They're replacing a bridge across the defunct railroad tracks down the street from my house.  They started the work in March or April or May - I really don't recall. I used to walk across the bridge almost everyday to get my mail at the post office. For a while, after they closed the bridge to automobiles, pedestrians where still allowed to cross it. Then pedestrians weren't supposed to cross it, but we still did. Then they pulled up all the decking, and though it was still technically possible to cross on the rusting steel girders that remained, I never tried it. Then they pulled up the girders. So now it's a longer walk to the post office for me.

On the bright side, though, they put this sign up down the street from my house.

Local Traffic Only!

And it's kind of funny, but I get a little thrill every time drive past it. I'm special. I'm cool. I'm a local! Stay off my street ya damn non-locals!

No comments: